Maria Jesus Saelices/Spain/November 2009

THE EXPERIENCE OF A LIFETIME

Thailand…

One thinks of Buddhism, great temples; tribes, elephants and tigers; paradisiacal islands; amazing cities and the best food ever…

To me… it’s been much more than that. There I found a family, and friends –great friends. I went to teach, but I was the one being taught –Thai language and alphabet, cooking, festivities, culture and religion… I went to volunteer, but I received much more than I could ever give.


I arrived in Non Dang (from now on, “my village”) in November 09. In the very South of Ubon Ratchathani province (near Cambodia), it’s not easy to get there, so I was picked up in Ubon by two teachers from the school. I had great expectations –since I had been preparing the project for a long time- but I didn’t really know what to expect. Would I be welcome? Could I be understood? Would I be a good teacher?



All my worries vanished as soon as I spent a couple of minutes there. I realised I was now part of a family, and part of a community. Absolutely everyone in the village would smile and wave at me when meeting me in the market or walking down the street. All the teachers wanted to be my friends (and now they are) and would try their best to communicate with me. And the children… well; the children are just the best of it all. Apparently I was the first farang (foreigner) they ever saw, so they were curious and they would giggle even after two months of seeing me every day.


I first taught the younger children, from 7 to 12 years old. At first they stared at me and I feared I wouldn’t be able to communicate with them… Not at all! They are very intuitive and they instinctively understood what they were asked. They were completely happy to join the games –their smiles and enthusiasm are the best reward I could ever get! Then the last month I was teaching the older students (13 to 15). Thai pupils are really polite and well behaved, but still, they were teenagers… It was a scary thought – but they were so nice I couldn’t believe it! They greet you at the beginning of the class and say thanks at the end. They are really willing to learn, and their interest is quite motivating.



The teachers and my family showed me around the district and the province; I travelled to national parks and joined all kind of events and festivities –they even organized ceremonies to welcome and farewell me… The children in my neighbourhood came and visited me, and I also hosted some older students to let them improve their English in the evenings –they would teach me Thai in exchange… I joined English Crazy Camps and made friends with the ECC staff –they are really the best people, and I decided I want to be an Ubon Ratchathani University student in my next life…


After three wonderful months, here I am, back in my country… Back home, but I don’t feel home at all. I miss everything and everyone in Thailand, the children, my friends, and my little big family… especially my Thai younger brother, Guy, with whom I went cycling and played every day. The last day, the kids in the school asked me “don’t forget us!!”… how could I ever forget you? This is the best thing that ever happened to me… I don’t know if they learned a lot, but at least they are now motivated –they found out English is not that difficult and can be really fun.



I left with mementos in my suitcase (full of presents, flowers, cards and pictures the children gave me); tears in my eyes and a promise… I will come back!!

9 comments:

englishcrazyclub said...

It's so impressive and tear-jerking

Aom

BUG LAR said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
BUG LAR said...

I like this it. Her story is very reviting. Since the very first sentences, it makes me feel like I must keep on reading and following this til the end and I found it a really inspiring story after that.

Thank you for sharing your life time with us, too, Maria

Geng

Netting said...

Thanks for the new word, Geng - riveting or reviting? Please correct me.

Dry your eyes, mates!

This morning, I read Maria's story from Aom's email, her word of tear-jerking has brought me
a teary feeling. Maria's writing has been one of the hightlights of our volunteer inbox from this moment. She is our real potentail volunteer, appriciated our local community and its people and valued her spirit of volunteering and her meaning of life and simply happiness that she has given.

Maria, your story has encourage us to move forward...

Netting

englishcrazyclub said...

...I joined English Crazy Camps and made friends with the ECC staff –they are really the best people, and I decided I want to be an Ubon Ratchathani University student in my next life…

According to Maria's above sentence, as a Buddhist myself, this has strongly believed about reincarnation or rebirth. We, ECC staff might have met you in the previous lifetime and will continue in the next lifetime. I do believe that our fingers will come across again.

Til we meet again,
Netting

BUG LAR said...

It's riveting kraab not reviting as it's my mistake in spelling. 55+

Geng

BUG LAR said...

As some buddhists'life's goal converges to the same one - not to be reborn again to repeat their lives which are full of envy, misery, angry, unpure love and detachment to feelings of misled happiness and stimuli, it's a kind of insuremountable things to do. For me to reach that state of selflessness, it will takes me more than 100 lives for sure 55+
During this, I hope to be born again to see you and have you guys as friends, too.

Geng

Mj said...

I’m not a person who cries easily. I mean, I can watch The Bridges of Madison County or Titanic and it won’t move me -I like them, right, but I will not cry or anything.

However, I cried like a small child during the 24 hours that preceded my departure from Non Dang, every time I had to say goodbye to someone. Then I cried for a few more days, every time I remembered, and especially when I was about to sleep. And now that I thought I was recovering (although still feeling homesick)… I see two emails from the children in my school saying “good morning teacher” (that’s something I miss hearing), “love Maria” and “we miss you…”… and then I go and read your comments… and here is the inconsolable weeping again!! What’s going on?!!!!

I do believe I met you in a previous lifetime. And I’m sure we will meet in the next one. But no worries… there’s no need to wait that much; I hope to see you again in a few months!!

I’m really happy to have ever met you. Thanks for everything!!

BUG LAR said...

How can a person forget a time when she was contributing valuable things to others for more than just a happy time? Is it true that only a picture of friendship and relationship she once had is now watering her with happiness and it will be doing so for a long time? Your words are not only riveting things to read. Your words are a lot more than that. They are also meaningful for us, encouraging and energising us to move further as Netting said.

We hope to see you soon, too.
Geng