Carolina Villafuerte/ the Philipines - February 2010

Like most of the previous volunteers, I stumbled upon Learn2Give at Helpexchange.net in my search for a place to travel not just as a tourist chase by time but a “traveler” taking time. I actually intended to find a safe destination for a first time solo traveler where I could culturally immerse in two weeks (the longest vacation leave I was allowed by my employer). Thus, Learn2Give Project of the English Crazy Club fits the bill, so I emailed the Project Staff to signify my interest. In no time, everything was set. Conveniently, before I left for Bangkok I was informed of the details about the school where I would be assigned and the names of my local hosts. Arriving by train in Ubon Ratchathani without any idea who could be Aom from the throng of Thais in the station, a petite young lady – distinctively not a tout – approached me and asked if I am who I am. Instantly, I was relieved and glad to meet the person whom I’ve been exchanging emails. On her motorbike, we took the road to Ubon Ratchathani University where I met some other members of the ECC and finally in the afternoon, my host Yok – a University student from Science Faculty. My host family in Ubon R. graciously received me into their home, neighbor-friends came in to meet me; we managed to communicate in Pidgin English and body language to satisfy their curiosity of me traveling in their land.


In the next couple of days, I was told that I would be assigned to another school in Det Udom District, but my new school was busy preparing students for a National Exam so my host teacher will pick me up by midweek…so be it. The night before I left Ubon R. for Det Udom, I had dinner with ECC members Aom, Ann, Nit, Aeh and a Belgian couple volunteers Aurelie and Cedric who just arrived in the morning.
Ban Nakraseang School is a Primary School, 50Km from Ubon R. Ms. Toy assisted me for two days during my class with Grade 1 and 2 students. Technically, my day 1 started when the School Director, Mr. Prapas welcomed and introduced me to the students gathered in the football field followed by 2-hour classes in the morning and another 2-hour in the afternoon. Basically, we had familiarization of English Alphabet (Alphabet Chart pinned on the board, Alphabet writing games using the butt and each student points the first letter of his/her name on the Alphabet Chart. They were hilarious and had fun; they even went to the next room and watched the next class do the same. During breaks, Ms. Toy and I would discuss the English lesson that would suit each Grade Level; before the week ends, we had mapped out lesson plan and schedule for the coming week. Classes end at 3PM, walking distance from school is my host abode in the village. Some teachers headed by the school director had an afternoon snack at my host- Yen’s place. In the evening, Yen, her boss Dir. Prapas, teacher Khem Kan enjoined to have dinner courtesy of teacher Sakdar and his family.

The following day, my classes were with Grade 5 and 6. We tackled word syllabication, spelling and wrapped-up with timed word puzzle played by groups who got excited to finish first. At lunch, we either eat out in a restaurant along the highway that serve kai yang (grilled chicken) and spicy green papaya salad locally known as papaya pokpok or som tam; or the school will have someone cook us lunch and then we eat together in the school’s dining hall and chitchat in between palatable and spicy (errrr….too spicy for my taste) Isaan dishes.






Come weekend, I joined the English Crazy Camp in Nachaluay. High School students from four different schools in Det Udom District attended the two-day program. There were fun games and Rotations that helped students practice English Communications and terminologies in Shopping, Fashion, Fruits and Body Parts. Besides the students’ interest to learn English, the Camp motivated them by way of fancy stickers stick-on to nametags of those who could speak as many English words as possible and actively participate in all activities. The students with the most number of stickers on their nametag were awarded a gift at the end of the Program.


Back in Ubon R., Lek – assistant of Vice Director of Nakraseang School – fetched me at the university to take me back to the village in Det Udom. There and then she asked me to stay in her house for the rest of my stay. Thus, we drop by at Yen’s place to get my stuff while Lek talk it out with Yen. For whatever reason, I could only suspect that my change of host emanated from Lek’s serious intention to learn English. That night, I met the rest of Lek’s family. While she (Lek) is preparing dinner, her 9 year old niece, Aom and I had an English tutorial using a pocket dictionary. At night and every chance we could have during the day, Lek and I would learn from each other: I in Thai, she in English. She even bought Thai-English dictionary which she carries everywhere together with Aom’s English-Thai dictionary that eventually aid our conversations.
Buddhist celebration of Magha Puja commenced a week ahead of full moon day of Magha month (March). Monday morning we went to the temple, just a stone throw away from the school to witness the community gathered in white robes as they pray and offer food to monks. Event like this not to mention the Grade 3 National Test brought a flurry of activity in the school, such left me to teach Grade 4 level for the rest of the week except on my free day and during our field trip to temples in Mukdahan Province at the end of the week (Friday).
Though fleeting, living with Isaan community in a village in Det Udom was an experience I did hope for. Fostering camaraderie with fellow Asian of different language and culture seemed a challenge yet our shared excitement to welcome one another and learn from each other served the very purpose of this volunteerism.

1 comment:

Netting said...

Good story written by hands and drown from the heart of volunteer spirit. Thanks for being a part of us, filling Isaan kid's dream and future!