Carl (November, 2010)

Carl Tilly, an English guy who is currently living in Greece, had volunteered to teach English at Ban Nongsano School for approximately two weeks. During his voluntary weeks, he found opportunities to learn about Thai-Esaan people, food and ways of life as well as to join a two-day English camp at Suankluy School, Kanthalalak district, Srisaket province. He was helping ECClub’s staff work out with games and songs to inspire the kids to learn English with fun. Let’s go with his reflections on his experiences.





L2G: Why do you find Thailand as your volunteering destination?
Carl:
It was to enter into a whole new culture and a brand new challenge

L2G: Can you briefly tell us about the impressive moment joining the English camp you did with English Crazy Club staff?
Carl:
I loved working with the team leaders. They made me feel welcome, and part of a team. The entertaining way with sing song and dance was challenging yet very fun. It was a lot of hard work when not playing out the games with the students but well worth it.

L2G: Tell us about your first day teaching at the school
Carl:
First day I was made more than welcome. I felt the appreciation of being there straight away. I was introduced to the teacher and students and had a presentation regarding the school. It was an amazing surprise and loved all the teachers I encountered.

L2G: What aspects of Thai culture that you found it funny and interesting compare to your culture?
Carl:
The Funny was the chilli that was applied to most food. Back home, I love chilli and I am known as a chilli monster. But when tasting the strength of their chilli, I was blown away by fire.
I loved the respect that everyone pays to one another with regards to age. I also loved how the people felt so positively about their King. They could defiantly teach the rest of the world a thing or two about how to appreciate life more.

L2G: How can you describe Thai students who you taught?
Carl:
The students were wonderful. I feel few really wanted to learn English and made the most of their lessons (girls mainly), but most felt like it will do nothing to improve their future which was a shame. It’s as if the future will be following the parents’ footsteps. But I enjoyed teaching the students.

L2G: Tell us what your most impressive moment is being with Isaan students and teachers...
Carl: The moment the students were able to follow songs with movement, as we all sang and danced together. They learned while laughing. I will never forget that.

L2G: Tell us the most challenging things you experienced while teaching.
Carl: I felt trying to get the whole class involved in games while some of the students did not want to follow the class. But they gradually got interested and involved.


L2G: Growing up in the West, do you find any challenges from the cultural differences? If yes, how was it like?
Carl: I feel closer to Thailand and my soul felt happy and joyful. A smile goes along way. ;o)


L2G: What message do you want to leave for the students and teachers at your host school?
Carl: I want the students to keep trying and realise that there is a world outside Thailand and if they really want something they can make it happen with determination. I hope they enjoyed having me at their school and I think about them with love and fondness and hope I made an impact and would like some of them to email me if they would like in English to tell me how their lives are going. To the teachers and head Master, I have love and appreciation for letting me teach at their school and hope they will keep in touch with news of the school and future developments. I with them many years of happiness and I think of them regularly. I hope they haven't forgot me yet.

No comments: