Sentibile Gosenyang (February 2011)

Learn2Give project had a chance to welcome a first volunteer from Bostawana, a country located in South Africa. Sentibile Gosenyang or “Senty” is 21-year-old girl. Senty is currently living in Malaysia and decided to help out the Learn2Give project for approximately a month. Senty taught at Ban Gatiad school in Phosai district of Ubon Ratchathani province with 50 students whose age ranges from 5 to 13 years old. Let experience her wonderful teaching time together with us.





L2G: Being with the Learn2Give project for one month, meeting with our staff, getting around the village, teaching English in school and hanging out with kids, being in a homestay. So what would be a word or two that best describe your experience with L2G.

Santy: Unforgettable and Loving

L2G: Tell us 5 Thai words that are in your mind and tell the reasons why you remember those words.

Santy: Khau niaw (sticky rice) my FAVOURITE food in Thailand,
Saaep (delicious) its describes the sticky rice and overall Thai food in general, however I used this one a lot more when I was in Isaan,

Kwai [Glauy] Sook (ripe banana) however in my home country Kwai is slang used in reference to cigarettes I laughed a lot after hearing this for the first time,

Tam Jok (Cheers) this was my favorite line in the evenings after a rewarding day its only fitting to share it with friends and some good chilled Regency.

Jakayaan (Bicycle) I just like saying it and it’s the only vehicle I remember.
Eish! The spelling here is terrible but I have not unpacked and I do not know where my Thai-Eng dictionary is.


L2G: Please tell us about your most unforgettable experience/moment while joining the program?

Santy: I shall share a few. One of the moments I cherished and really welcomed was the feeling of family. It’s very difficult studying abroad and even though it builds you up it also has a sad reality attached and that is my family is not with me. I enjoyed the family evening dinners they were great and a welcome change from cheap eats that we students resort to satisfy hungers growl and kick. =)

My teaching experience was greatly highlighted by the song and dance that we used to teach the students about the recipes they had prepared and what ingredients were used. It’s amazing how song and dance can be used as a great tool for education without the rigidity of classroom work. Note to self I need to become resistant to chili.

I found courage in my voice during my time with the students; it’s not easy having people listen to you and even harder when they are below 10 years old. I also had to learn to listen to them and read their needs to determine what would best suit their class. I found that I had to break new boundaries because of the limited resources and saw myself creating new games and using old techniques with the resources available.


L2G: Did you have any challenges from the cultural differences? If yes, what was it and how was it?

Santy: Yes definitely. I found Thailand to be a great tourist heaven and 'farang' not only became a reference but a name I was obliged to answer to if I was to receive help, ask for direction and even more so in Isaan to call the neighbor who would come out to greet you and smile whilst others tried to converse with you in Thai in an attempt to found out where you are from.

Many of the older generation were fascinated by my hair and had a great many questions on how I comb it, how it is plaited and how often I cut it. In Thai culture the head is the most sacred part of the body and should not be reached at or grabbed. So before most people reached out to touch my hair they politely requested to do so which was a great change as we normally just reach out and touch with few reservations. I also had to make sure I also respected their belief and tried to practice them during my stay.


My biggest challenge was experienced with my students. I felt on many occasions that my similarity in colour raised questions. I remember quite clearly when we toured around the village our students reside and a family whose son had experienced some bullying when he first started school due to his darker features; they immediately recognized me and pulled me towards him, rubbed my skin and his in approval and enthusiastically said ‘suay’ which means beautiful. I felt for that moment my student knew that he could trust in his appearance and accept and embrace it.


L2G: To which groups of people (e.g. school teachers, students, villagers, ECClubbers) do you think your arrival contributed and what merits did you get from the program?

Santy: My arrival in Pho Sai was interesting for the villagers for whom some had never seen an African. The teachers all were very pleasant and welcomed me back when ever I get the chance to return to Thailand which is awesome. I made a great deal of friends who I miss very much. To the ECC Club members Aom and Yang I am most grateful, friends I shall see you soon.

To Pee Pim and her family I have great love for you all and am eternally grateful. I also hope to see you soon.

The students I hope at their age enjoyed their time with me as much as I did with them, I learnt how to throw volley ball correctly and I taught them a war cry, showed them images of tribes and animals from my home continent. My grade twos for their patience and honesty it helped me and I hope they shall take a greater interest in their studies as well and the pursuit of English.




L2G: The coolest and weirdest food you eat while staying with your host family.

Santy: The coolest food was definitely Khao Niaw (sticky rice); WOW it is delicious especially with soy milk mmmmmmhhhhh.
Eish! the weirdest food I came across was ant eggs however they were really tasty and I enjoyed them with some ‘phak-tew’ (a kind of local Isaan veggie that I do not know the English translation). This would not qualify as weird but I had frog and for my own experience anyone who tells me that it tastes like chicken has not eaten it because it tastes like a slimy green creature that lives in ponds and eats insects. I have burned and disposed the rumor of how it tastes no more shall I be tricked =).



L2G: How can you describe your students? What were the activities you did usually did with your students outside class?

Santy: My students were in the grade two classes. They had a great energy that lasted all day and sometimes I had trouble keeping up. They were particularly fond of games and we played those extensively after the lunch breaks. I introduced two new games which were enthusiastically received and adjusted a game they were already familiar with to become interactive and generated a different but familiar response from them.

They were very honest with their response and from those I tried to learn how to best improve my ability to help them learn and become more interested in English.
Playing outside was extremely hot but on the odd occasion we went outside to play volleyball a sport I knew they were fond of but were not able to engage in because all the older students played there during the afternoon and they were not selected for the teams.

Even in small class of 7 I was able to form teams that competed in spelling and association competitions in the classroom which on occasion became very loud but were always fun. I was also learning to improve my Thai and its pronunciation the class had great fun listening to me struggle tirelessly repeating the few animals, vegetables and verbs we learnt during classes. I learnt some great words that I later used in my travels.



L2G: Thousands miles away from home back in Botswana, South Africa, what is the funniest thing in Isaan culture comparing to your own cultural belief and practice?


Santy: Oh my word! there are many; however, there is one that comes to mind and is warmly attached to my heart. I was wrapping a package to send back home to Malaysia during an afternoon we had arrived early from the school. After I had completed the wrapping, my host, Pee Pim son’s nephew who is just over a year old came to play by the box. I did not think anything of it and soon we were playing together as he attempted with my support to climb and stand on the box.

Little did I know... once he had got on firmly he playfully stood up and left a warm and smelly parcel of his own on top of the box which was equally acknowledged by laughter from Pee Pim, his mother and I. Later I found out that in the Isaan culture this meant real good luck 'Chook-Dee.’ I do not believe a child back home would have gotten away without at least a scolding. The day was merrily followed by laughter as we recollected the event at dinner and I never sent my package but it was not due to the pale brown print that was exhibited on it. ;)



L2G: Last but not least, would you call this L2G volunteer opportunity a life-changing experience? If yes, can you explain and give the example?


Santy: Yes, the life changing experience come from the family and friends you make during the experience. They are irreplaceable and so are they many people you have touched and how have been affected by my presence in their homes, communities and schools. I cannot express how grateful I am for this opportunity and with me I have taken a great lesson and that is to open your heart to people with greater trust, love and goodness. It allows us to respond in kind and for the few times you are ill treated practice forgiveness and understanding along with compassion. My first host Yang a first year student went above and beyond and I am truly grateful to her friends, Peaches, Mai, Bang, Fang and so many others for the great week we spent getting to know one another. Truly they set me off on my journey with great love and friendship that I shall cherish and I hope I can offer them and other the same experience.

No comments: